Sunday, June 9, 2013

Personal Digital Story and Reflection

I haven't posted on my blog in quite a while.  I will go back at some point and add assignments from my last class. 

So far I have enjoyed working on the project for week 1 in EDLD 5363.  I must say, the assignment was somewhat cathartic, and I really did spend time reflecting on the decisions I have made and the reasons behind those decisions.  All in all, becoming an educator was the path I was always supposed to take...it just took me a while to figure that out. 

Technically speaking, I am struggling.  I don't get the little ins and outs of creating videos and even uploading to the blog or Google site.  I welcome help an advice from anyone when it comes to that.  :)

Here is my script.  I deviated a bit from it as I read and recorded it, but it is basically the same.


Life’s Decisions
(pictures/clipart of Texas A&M, Angelo State, Frank Phillips, UNT, WTAMU and ???)
When I graduated from Borger High School, I knew I wanted to go to college.  I knew I was going to go to college.  I even knew it would be paid for, but what was my goal?  Oh sure, I wanted to earn money – a lot of money – but how was I going to accomplish that?
(Clip art of engineering, picture of Dad, $$$)
I could be an engineer like my dad.  No – strike that – that includes math and science.
(Picture of mom with us)
My mom has a degree in Food and Nutrition, but she had always stayed home with us.  We were blessed that she could, but I didn’t want to do that either.
(Picture of College of Business – TAMU)
I know!  I will be a business major.  Marketing sounds good.  There’s the letter K in marketing and the letter k in Becky – ok that works.
(Pictures of AmeriCold)
Fast forward four years.  I have a job in Amarillo, Texas working for a warehousing and distribution company.  That’s marketing – at least it is one of the four P’s of marketing!  My dad is pressuring me to pursue an advanced degree.   Working on an MBA does not sound fun to me.
(Blank Screen)
Be a teacher.  (Repeat twice) Ah, that annoying voice in the back of my head is back.  I heard it once before at the beginning of my college career but ignored it.  I wanted to earn money and teachers do not make money! 
(Pictures of WTAMU)
So in 2000, I went to West Texas A&M University in Canyon, Texas and met with an advisor who helped me develop a deficiency plan and a time table to earn my teacher certification as a Secondary Business Composite teacher.   
(Picture of my Certificate)
I am so glad that the road I traveled and the decisions I made led me to Ferris, Texas.  I earned my ten year pen this year.  I have worked with and for some amazing people, but most importantly, I have taught and learned from the best kids in the world.  People often say they couldn’t teach high school and don’t know how I do it.  Some days I don’t know how I do it, but every day I know WHY I do it.
(Ferris pictures)

Here is the video...at least I hope this works.  


 

No comments:

Post a Comment