Sunday, September 8, 2013

EDLD 5364- Week 2 Reflection

EDLD 5364 - Week 2 Reflection
Until this week, I really had no concept of UDL.  I did not really know what it stood for or what it meant.  As I watched the CAST videos, it dawned on me that although I may not have ever heard the term, I had always incorporated UDL in my classroom.  The quote I used in my discussion board this week from the Rose and Meyer reading really stood out to me because it helped me come to this conclusion. 
"The challenge posed by greater diversity and greater accountability is to enable students with widely divergent needs, skills, and interests to attain the same high standards. To transform the pressures of diversity into opportunities for all learners, we apply insights about learners who don't "fit the mold" to helps us create flexible curricula and tools that will work more effectively for everyone. In this way, the challenges we face as educators inspire us to reconsider the way curriculum is designed and the way schooling is conducted." (Rose & Meyer, 2002)
I have always had a diverse classroom, and I make modifications for most, if not all, my students based on their individual needs.  Not all of them have an IEP, but I do adjust based on the student.  However, over the years, other teachers made me think that this practice was not okay.  If I modify for students without an IEP, how does that make my modifications for my special education students actual modifications?  After watching the videos and reading through the chapter about UDL, I realized I have always done what needs to be done for my students.
Another quote from the same text also had an impact, especially after I went back and watched all four videos from the CAST website again. “Technological advances have equipped educators with tremendous new instructional resources in the form of computers and digital media. New technologies offer us the opportunity to respond to the multifaceted individual differences in our student population by providing more varied media, tools, and methods.” (Rose & Meyer, 2002)
The first video, The Diversity of Learners, did not really tell me anything I did not already know.  Each student is unique.  According to the Special Education teacher interviewed in the clip, “One size fits all definitely doesn’t work.”  I see this on a daily basis.  Just helping my students log on to our classroom computers for the first time the other day was eye opening in this regard.
The video about brain research was very interesting.  I do not really ever think about neuroscience, but the way Dr. David Rose explained the three brain networks really made sense.  As I was watching the video, I was thinking back to my Accounting class on Thursday.  I watched as all but one of my students used all three networks as we learned about how “transactions affect the accounting equation.”  Looking back, I recognize how they first went through the recognition network.  What is an asset?  Then we discussed how each transaction would affect each side of the equation and the used the strategic network.  How is the equation affected?  What increases?  What decreases?  Are both sides affected? Last, but certainly not least, I saw their affective networks engaged.  They were asking questions, taking notes, and asking for clarification to help understand the why!  A very exciting and happy day for this nerd of an accounting teacher J
The last two videos about Universal Design and UDL were interesting.  I think the point that stood out the most is when Dr. Anne Meyer said, “UDL mirrors the universal design movement in architecture and product development.”  She then gives a couple of examples, but the one that stood out and actually put this entire philosophy into perspective for me was the example of curb cuts.  They are designed for people in wheel chairs (special needs), but who else uses them?  Parents with strollers, people who may have trouble walking but are not necessarily designated as special needs, people pushing just about anything that they do not want to bump off the curb. Not all of my students need extra help, but I have a lot who do for various reasons and they do not have an IEP or 504 paperwork.
What I take away most from our readings and videos this week is this.  Technology, as it has developed over the years, has given us as educators the opportunity to customize our lessons for each student.  UDL practically begs us to “customize for individual differences in each of the three brain networks.”  (lessonbuilder.cast.org)

Lessonbuilder.cast.org (nd). Diversity of Learners. Retrieved from http://lessonbuilder.cast.org/window.php?src=videos
Lessonbuilder.cast.org (nd). The Brain Research. Retrieved from http://lessonbuilder.cast.org/window.php?src=videos
Lessonbuilder.cast.org (nd). Principles of Universal Design for Learning. Retrieved from http://lessonbuilder.cast.org/window.php?src=videos
Lessonbuilder.cast.org. (nd). Universal Design and Universal Design for Learning. Retrieved from http://lessonbuilder.cast.org/window.php?src=videos
Rose, D., & Meyer, A. (2002). Teaching every student in the digital age: Universal design for learning. Alexandria, VA: Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development. Available online at the Center for Applied Special Technology Web site. Chapter 1. Retrieved from http://www.cast.org/teachingeverystudent/ideas/tes/



No comments:

Post a Comment